Benefits of Maintaining Oral Hygiene at an Early Age
Helping kids maintain better oral hygiene for better oral health
Dental hygiene is more than just maintaining a sparkly smile: it is about maintaining oral hygiene for better dental health. Research shows that maintaining oral hygiene from an early age can help kids develop habits that ultimately eliminate the risk of dental problems, such as cavities and gum disease. This is why dental hygienists highly stress that oral hygiene must be practiced from a very early age. The responsibility of helping kids maintain dental health lies heavily on parents. So to help you with that daunting task, here are some of the guidelines that can help you develop better oral hygiene habits in your kids.
- Start early even before the teeth erupt. After feeding your child make sure that you thoroughly cleanse the gums with a washcloth.
- After the teeth begin to erupt, brush them with a soft toothbrush with fluoride based toothpaste. Only take pea size amount of the toothpaste. At a very early age, children don’t have the dexterity to brush right, so you have to ensure proper brushing that is gentle on their gums.
- Limit sugary snacks and increase the intake of fruits and vegetables. It may be challenging to keep kids away from confectionary, so the best thing is to let them have it once in a while. However, just make sure that they have their teeth cleaned after devouring a confectionary product.
- Plan regular (once a month) visits with your dental hygienist to have your child’s oral health evaluated. Many dentists in Dubai are perfectly capable of performing routine hygiene checks that can help you keep track of your child’s dental health.
- Encourage flossing as soon as the kids reach the age where they gain substantial agility to perform sensitive hygiene tasks by themselves.
- Be a good example for your children by brushing and flossing regularly. Talk about oral hygiene and help your kids become aware of oral issues that may follow an unhealthy dental routine.
- Change your family toothbrushes 4-5 times a year.
- A good oral hygiene is supplemented by balanced diet and regular dental visits. Edify your kids regarding the importance of healthy diet and regular dental health maintenance.
- Introduce plant based foods and dairy products that contain bone-strengthening nutrients, such as Vitamin B12, DHA, EPA, calcium, and Zinc. Adding these essential nutrients to your child’s diet can also lessen the risk of serious conditions like osteoporosis. If you are not certain about which foods to include in your child’s diet for healthy gums and teeth, make sure to get a recommendation from qualified dentists in Dubai. Your dentist may recommend a good nutritionist who would be able to help you figure out a balanced diet routine.
Maintaining oral hygiene at an early age may seem like a trivial thing, but it will help you save a lot of money and pain in the long run. Additionally, it will help your child enjoy a cavity and gum disease free life. Early habits instill children to have continuity in their oral hygiene maintenance that ultimately keeps them safe from dental diseases that become troublesome in the long run. Follow the precautionary guidelines to prepare your children for a lifelong oral hygiene routine.